I love Rice Krispies. This is well known. My sweet little neighbor once took the time during a family trip to McCall to stop at the Whistle Stop Cafe so she could get their grande sized Krispy Treats to bring back to me. How sweet is that? I even get them as birthday gifts. [shrug]
You have to imagine that it warmed my soul when Karly over at Buns In My Oven posted a recipe for Browned Butter Glazed Rice Krispies Treats. Are you kidding me? It seems like browned butter recipes are all the rage now, and they sound yummy, but this recipe was a no-brainer for me.
You can’t eat these treats right away because the delicious browned-butter glaze on the top has to set and that’s the difference with this recipe. You can see the glaze with the little browned-butter dots on the top and trust me, you’ll be delighted–these are ridiculous. I tell you what, as soon as the glaze was set, I tried to be disciplined. For about zero seconds. The first batch I ever made was gone in less than 24 hours and you know I don’t have a house full of kids. You start the regular recipe with browned butter rather than just regular ol’ melted butter, but then there is this insane glaze. Hev-Un. In my mouth.
Remember, these treats are gluten-free. Enjoy and then come back to let me know what you thought of them! This recipe is adapted from Buns In My Oven.
Browned Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Treats
- 3/4 cups butter
- 10 oz. bag marshmallows – the big bags are 16-20 oz.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a stock pot, melt 1/4 cup butter – Whisk the butter until it turns a golden brown.
- Add the marshmallows and keep stirring until they’re melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the rice krispy treats. Mix thoroughly.
- Sneak some sticky goodness off the spoon.
- Press the coated cereal mix into a buttered 9×13 inch pan.
- In a saucepan, melt the remaining 1/2 cup of butter over medium heat.
- Continuously whisk the butter until it browns.
- Remove from the heat and add the powdered sugar. Whisk until it’s smooth.
- Pour this over the cereal treats in the pan. spread evenly.
- Let it sit to harden up. You can put it into the fridge to speed up the process but one hour out of the fridge will be fine.
- Cut into small squares because these are Sweet. Eat and Enjoy!
- Make another batch to share.