Let’s talk about cupcakes. I like to call them Personal Cakes because that’s what they are–little, personal cakes.
What could be better?
Spring finally spring sprang sprung around here so I made these to celebrate.
I understand buying frosting because it’s quick and easy, but Boo! Once you understand how simple it really is to make and how good it tastes, my guess is that you’ll only buy it if you’re in a serious pinch for time. Maybe not even then.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link we will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
I like a good buttercream or cream cheese frosting and this one is a nice combination of both–Buttercream Cream Cheese Frosting.
When I started, I thought I was going to make white frosting with colored sprinkles. If I want white frosting, I want WHITE–not off-white frosting. Some people use shortening instead of butter when they want perfectly white frosting but sometimes I don’t like how that tastes.
When I know I’m going to use butter, which is most of the time, then I have three options. 1) I have to be sure to whip the butter until it starts to turn white, or 2) be satisfied with a possibly off-white colored frosting, OR 3) use white food coloring and clear vanilla extract.
Though there are many brands to choose from, the food coloring I use is White-White Icing Color from Wilton. It is kind of the weirdest thing, but I’ve used it for years and I love it. It really works to lighten up your frosting to a true, white color.
The other product I use to keep my frosting white is Clear Vanilla Extract. It tastes pretty much the same as any other vanilla but you won’t be adding color to your frosting.
Back to the recipe story. The frosting was very white but I changed my mind and decided I wanted it to be bright, sunshiny yellow. At least I had a bright white base to start with! Now you know how to make your frosting white too.
The frosting is easy to make, is really easy to work with, and it tastes great.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4-6 oz (1/2 block) cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp milk or cream (I use cream)
- Beat butter and cream cheese until the mixture is as smooth as you can get it.
- Gently add the powdered sugar to the butter mixture. I only say gently so it doesn't go flying out of your mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and cream.
- Add remaining sugar.
- If you want softer frosting, add more cream. If you want or need stiffer frosting, add a little more sugar. Be careful of the ratio--too much sugar just doesn't taste good.
What’s your favorite frosting recipe? Maybe I need to give it a try. 🙂
More delicious posts that will make your life better.
- Delicious Strawberry Frosting – honestly, this is so good!
- Boost Your Hydration with Delicious Infused Water
- Why I believe you should use Jumbo muffin pans