As you know, I love sweet treats. I also love the little things that make sweet treats cute, fun, and pretty so I made some Valentine’s Day cupcake toppers. I was really just experimenting and made an enormous mess but there are no pictures of that. Sorry! I honestly wasn’t thinking about it. Sometimes it’s nice to just enjoy the process for the pleasure of it.
I saw a picture of similar cupcake toppers somewhere and I hope I came close.
This is what I did:
- Cut or punch heart shapes out of paper.
- Cut bunting flags and attach to a string of embroidery floss. I cut diamond shapes and folded them in half across the floss. Lightly glue the flags shut.
- String the bunting across the front of one heart. Wrap and secure the ends of the floss to the unprinted side of the heart with glue or a small piece of tape. Lightly glue the flags to the heart.
- Glue the edges of two heart shapes together (print side out). Only one heart piece should have the bunting on it. I put part of a cotton ball inside the hearts to puff them up. The glue was just a thin line around the edges and I left a tiny hole at the bottom of the hearts for the candy stick.
- The whip stitch probably should have been a straight stitch or left off, but there it is!
- Lightly coat the hearts and bunting with Mod Podge to strengthen, seal, and add a little sheen.
Happy cupcake decorating!