Cake is good. Carrot Cake is really good. Mango Carrot Cake is really, really good.
I could stop there, but I’ll share a recipe with you instead. I figured I needed a cake for my birthday so I made one. And it was delightful.
I wasn’t interested in putting curled carrots on top, like the recipe called for, because I’d made ‘celebration’ flags instead. This was a fun cake to make, partly because I can’t remember the last time I grated carrots.
The cake tasted really yummy and the recipe is going into my recipe box–the one I’ve had since I was 9. That means it was good and it put a smile on my face. I hope you like it too.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cups refrigerated mango juice blend (such as Odwalla Mango Tang or Naked Juice Mighty Mango)
- 3 cups finely shredded carrot
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (below)
- 1 recipe Carrot Ribbons (below)
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl beat together one 8 oz. package cream cheese and ¼ cup butter until smooth. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla. Gradually beat in 4 cups powdered sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8x1½ inch round cake pans; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, ½ tsp. salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high speed 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar; beat until combined. Beat 2 minutes more.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and ¾ cup of the mango juice; beat on low after each addition just until combined.
- Stir in shredded carrot. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Place remaining ½ cup mango juice blend in a small saucepan; bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to ¼ cup.
- Remove from heat; cool. Frost top of one cake layer with Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost as desired. Drizzle with reduced juice; top with Carrot Ribbons.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl beat together one 8 0z package cream cheese and ¼ cup butter until smooth. Beat in 1 tsp. vanilla. Gradually beat in 4 cups powered sugar.
- Carrot Ribbons:
- Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice one carrot lengthwise. Place in a bowl of ice water (or the fridge) for at least 30 minutes. Drain well before using.