Summertime calls for crisp, light salads that function as the main course. This shrimp salad from Chef Alex Guarnaschelli hits all the points with its cucumbers, cilantro, and hint of ginger. I tweaked this recipe a little. Chef Alex made tostadas which seemed really messy to me so I tossed the salad into a bowl and put crisp, fried tortillas on the side–perfect!
Enjoy this Shrimp and Avocado salad on the patio with your family and friends!
- 1 (6-ounce) English cucumber, cut into ¼"-thick slices
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. finely grated ginger
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, divided, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 16 large cooked shrimp, cut into ½" pieces (about ½ pound)
- 8 taco shells
- 1 ripe avocado cut into ½" pieces
- ½ cup torn basil leaves
- In a large bowl, toss cucumber with ½ tsp. salt and let stand a few minutes.
- Add ginger and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a medium bowl toss cherry tomatoes with sugar, olive oil, remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and remaining ½ tsp salt.
- Stir in cilantro and shrimp.Top with avocado and basil, and serve with lemon wedges.
- Cut fried tortilla shells into wedges or strips. Use to top salad or serve on the side.